On Saturday, Jeff and I drove down to Bath, not so much to see the sites of the city, but to meet up with people: Jeff's colleague and his wife, Ally, and Ally's friends from Belfast, Ken and Lisa.
We arrived at Gareth's house (Jeff's colleague) at about 11:00 and had coffee with him. Gareth and Jeff have lunch together every day at work, so it's about time I met him. I even send a slice of cake with Jeff for him every time I bake something. His wife, Anna, was out riding her horse, so we didn't get to meet her until the late afternoon.
Gareth drove us into the center of Bath to meet up with Ally and her friends. The five of us went to a small restaurant/bar that Gareth recommended called "1453" on Monmouth Street. All of us were very happy with our meal. Afterward we just walked around the city, did a bit of browsing in shops and had the obligatory coffee later in the afternoon.
Gareth kindly picked us up again and we went back to his house. Anna was there this time, so we quickly met her before getting ready to go out to dinner with them. We went to the restaurant of their choice, called "One Beaufort" (website), which is owned by the same French owner of 1453. Gareth and Anna were fantastic to get to know, as they are also interested in fine foods and historic homes (like the National Trust). Gareth said something along the lines of, "If tonight goes well, you two can spend the night next time you come down and we can show you around Bath more". I replied, "You're making it sound like we're dating the two of you!" In fact, we did have a wonderful evening with them and hope to make plans with them again soon.
One little surprise I have to mention: David Hepler came to stay with us for exactly 6 hours on Sunday. He called in the afternoon, explained that where had planned to stay fell through, so he asked if he could stay with us. He arrived Sunday evening at about 10:00. We sat up talking until midnight, and woke up to see him off at 4:00am. Sweet and short.




No comments:
Post a Comment