Saturday, July 30, 2011

Blackberry Heaven

Just before Jeff and I walked out the door to take a walk, I asked Jeff whether I should bring a container with us "just in case"... meaning in case we came across any blackberries. We drove to a car park in Quedgeley just along the canal, pulled in and saw a bush of blackberries right in front of the car. So we picked some and were quite excited by our findings. We strolled along the canal path being ever vigilant for any deep purple berries, but most were still green and young... I'll have to come back in a few days.

But then we turned off the path into a field and just as we were about to turn right to walk along the field, I took a look to the left and... drum roll... saw a hedge FILLED with HUGE beautifully dark-purple blackberries... jackpot! We were giggling with complete delight at finding such a berry-loaded spot. We filled the container to almost overflowing then filled our bellies. It was worth every prick of the thorns and each scratch of the thistles. With berry-stained fingers and a bowl full of free fruit, we walked back to the car. Now... should I make a blackberry pie or blackberry cobbler... what a tough decision!

Lessons learnt:
#1: Whenever taking a leisurely stroll in the countryside, take along a BUCKET, not a small container.
#2: Carry along a ladder or step stool to reach the fruit that's out of reach from ground level.
#3: Don't tell ANYONE where you find your treasures... okay, that's being slightly selfish... perhaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment