I get a real kick finding recipes that use up foods that have spent way too long in the freezer, such as the white rolls and rhubarb I used in this recipe. The rhubarb came from Jeff's aunt's garden in Northern Ireland back at Easter, so yes, it has been in the freezer too long. I have to admit, this was a very simple baking recipe this week, but now I have slightly more room in the freezer. Oh, AND the aroma of the cinnamon and rhubarb cooking and baking was simply wonderful.Ingredients
1 cup white sugar2 cups diced rhubarb (mine was just in chunks from when I cut up the rhubarb)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
6 plain rolls or buns (I used 2 large white dinner rolls)
1/2 cup white sugar (I used "only" 1/4 cup here)
1/2 cup butter, melted
Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Stir together 1 cup of sugar, rhubarb, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-low heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook the rhubarb, stirring frequently, until it breaks apart, about 10 minutes. Pour the rhubarb mixture into the prepared casserole dish.
- Cut the rolls up into cubes and spread over the rhubarb. Sprinkle 1/2 cup sugar over the bread cubes; pour melted butter over the sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the bread is lightly golden brown and the rhubarb is bubbling, about 35 minutes.
No comments:
Post a Comment