Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Ellen's First Day of School


A new chapter in our lives began today - it was Ellen's first day of school today.  She has been excited to go to Reception (Kindergarten) since her first visit to "big school" in July, especially the idea of wearing a school uniform every day.  This morning she popped out of bed when I woke her, gave me a quick cuddle and promptly went down stairs to get dressed.

She chose her usual Marmite toast for breakfast.


A few pictures before our first-ever real school run (as opposed to the school run to nursery).

Ellen's gorgeous Pottery Barn Kids backpack.  She chose the rainbow design and really loves it.

Brenna's not looking forward to her first day (after 2 trials days a couple week ago) of nursery tomorrow and will miss not having her big sister around during school hours.

During our 15-minute Brenna-and Ellen-speed walk to school we were joined by a few families and their 4-year-olds who would be in Ellen's class.  I could feel the parents' excitement mixed with nerves as we walked together. 

Ellen poses in front of her school, the Lawley Village Primary Academy.  This school only opened in January this year and there are only two classes of children currently attending it: Ellen's reception class and the Year 1 children.  A class will be added each year the school is opened due to funding. By the time Brenna attends in two years, two more classes will be added.

Every morning we will wait at the school gate (more like a prison-like fence) at the side of the school until the headteacher (principal) Miss Hopley unlocks the gates (there are three entrances).  This morning most of the parents walked their children to the classroom gate, but I was confident that Ellen could walk in by herself and she did fantastically. She was greeted by her teacher, Miss Richens, at the gate and went in very confidently.

Ellen is just about to walk into her classroom for the first time.
Although many parents were sad to "let go" today, I was quite excited.  Perhaps I'm slightly sad that our little girl is growing up, I'm actually very excited for Ellen's new beginning.  She's excited to learn new things and to meet new friends.  I'm also looking forward to a little more time to spend at home getting chores done and finally getting to some projects that have been put to wayside the past...uhh... 4 1/2 years.  In addition, I believe that I can spend more quality time with the girls while they're home, instead of trying to fit in chores during the day.  It's a new day for all of us!

The children will attend school from 9:00-12:00 this week, but from next Monday they'll attend from 9:00-3:15 every day.  This morning Ellen said they wrote down their names on a piece of paper and drew a picture of themselves. They played a game outside in teams, but she didn't tell me what they played.  They also listened to a story using headphones.  In Miss Richen's letter that was sent home, she explained that the children will learn and learn through well-known nursery rhymes this half-term (before the end of October).  Ellen really enjoyed her first day of school and is looking forward to tomorrow... we'll see how long that lasts!  Lastly, Jeff and I are super proud parents.  Ellen is bright and confident in her academic abilities.

Ellen enjoyed trying on her uniform yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment