Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The First Day of Summer

The calendar says it's officially the first day of summer, but the thermometer tells a different story. When I think of summer, I think of sun and heat. Though the sun has peaked through the clouds every now and then the past few days, the heat just isn't there. When I came out of work going on 5pm, it was 21°C or 69.8°F, which is not exactly summer weather. It became considerably cooler, though, within a couple of hours with the increase of clouds.

But I have to say this is one of my favourite days of the year... not necessarily because I have to remember my brother's birthday on this day every year, but because it is the day with the most sunlight. At 9:15pm I took these pictures:
(No, I'm not showing you the roofs of houses... look closely.)
It amazed me that there was a rainbow so late in the day. It was a full rainbow, too! However, by the time I got my camera out and ran upstairs to get a better shot out the top window, it had already begun to fade... oh, well... in a land of cool temperatures and plenty of rain, I'm sure there'll be many more rainbows this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment